Pasadena Museum of History
470 W. Walnut Street, Pasadena
A museum and research library/archives focusing on the history of Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley, the Pasadena Museum of History is located on the grounds of the Fenyes Mansion – one of the few remaining grand homes on Pasadena’s former “Millionaire’s Row.” The 1906 Beaux Arts Fenyes Mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The history galleries contain changing exhibitions and the “Tupa” or the Finnish Folk Art Museum, one of a handful of museums devoted to the Scandinavian country in the United States.
2013 MOTA DAY ACTIVITIES:
MOTA Day 2013 activities include:
- Art Festival with Members of the Pasadena Society of Artists. More than 30 painters, sculptors, and photographers will display their works in tents throughout the gardens and in the special MOTA Day-only art store in Giddings Conference Room. All artwork will be for sale, along with prints, cards and other distinctive gift items. In addition, a number of the artists will be actively working on new pieces during the afternoon.
- Juried Art Exhibition: “Relationships.” Artists will be inspired by the current exhibition on vintage wedding gowns at the museum.
- Mini-Tours of Fenyes Mansion. Visitors can get a first look at the historic residence following its recent $1.7 million rejuvenation.
- Tours of Finnish Folk Art Museum. Members of the Finlandia Foundation will welcome guests to the museum which is furnished in the style of a 19th century Finnish farmhouse. This unique exhibition provides a fascinating glimpse into Finland’s tradition and culture and reminds visitors that the Fenyes Mansion once served as the Finnish Consulate.
- Hands-on Art Workshops for Children “Relationships With My Famly and Other Cultures.” Young visitors can make and take home three different art projects. Line up:
12:30 pm Japanese dancer, Misaka Kakihana will introduce the art project and perform two traditional dances; children will make a Japanese brush wall hanging.
2:00 pm Children’s book author and storyteller, Kasan Butler will read his story about his family; children will create a college of their family.
3:30 pm Storyteller, Kasan Butler will read an African story; children will create an African rain stick
- I Do! I Do! Pasadena Ties the Knot Exhibition. Tour a stunning display of vintage wedding gowns in the History Center Galleries.
- Pie ‘n Burger Truck. Celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pasadena’s famed restaurant by purchasing one of their best-loved family fare offerings!
>Check out the latest Pasadena Museum of History reviews on Yelp.